nanog mailing list archives

RE: DDOS anecdotes

From: Tim Devries <Tim.Devries () Q9 com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 16:24:45 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Mikael Abrahamsson [mailto:swmike () swm pp se]
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2001 4:16 PM
To: 'nanog () merit edu'
Subject: RE: DDOS anecdotes

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Tim Devries wrote:

FYI beware of service pack 2.  It sets the DF bit so packets cannot
fragment.  Particularily offensive if your server is on the other side of
tunnel (due to the overhead).  The solution is to reduce the MTU on the
box.
Or use a different OS :)

I thought this was standard behaviour of Microsoft OSes since at least
Win95. I know NT does this as standard, so does Win95 and 98. Win2k does
this standard out of the box (at least last time I checked).

I have tested it with sp1 and this behaviour does not occur.
I have not tested it without any serverice packs so you may be correct in
that regard.

Tim Devries
Technical Trainer
Q9 Networks