nanog mailing list archives

Re: PSINet and C&W peering

From: "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam () noc everquick net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 17:39:41 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 10:26:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Nielsen <cnielsen () nielsen net>

[ snip ]

BTW, to solve these types of problems, Smaller companies need to band
together and start peering with each other in the local metro area.

Until the smaller companies get bought out by OneM^H^H^H^H a national
provider who has no interest in peering.

Quite frankly, it seems that most smaller companies have no clue what the
heck peering is or why it's good.  I've approached a few, and none seem to
get it.

One (cable company, mind you) wanted to *charge more for peering than for
transit*.  They thought that we would be getting some sort of "priority
access" to their network, and wanted to charge a hefty price... and this
was talking to a net admin, not a droid.  Jeez.

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc.
EverQuick Internet Division

Phone: (316) 794-8922