nanog mailing list archives

small exchanges (was: Re: PSINet and C&W peering)

From: Jim Mercer <jim () reptiles org>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:50:32 -0400

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 05:39:41PM +0000, E.B. Dreger wrote:
BTW, to solve these types of problems, Smaller companies need to band
together and start peering with each other in the local metro area.

Until the smaller companies get bought out by OneM^H^H^H^H a national
provider who has no interest in peering.

Quite frankly, it seems that most smaller companies have no clue what the
heck peering is or why it's good.  I've approached a few, and none seem to
get it.

i have been involved with a couple small exchanges, and the way it worked for
us was "build it and they will come".

initially TorIX was only a few ISP's who happened to be in the same building.

then a few other ISP's pulled in circuits and peered.

then i bumped into an @home tech, and they jacked in.

it took 4+ years to get the momentum going, but now we have a pretty good
peering thing going on.

so, if you can at least get one other ISP to peer, pick a good place, and
drive a stake in the ground.

others may migrate towards it.

(some of the selling points are sharing usenet news feeds and/or http caches)

--
[ Jim Mercer        jim () reptiles org         +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ Now with more and longer words for your reading enjoyment. ]