nanog mailing list archives

Re: reverse Traceroute

From: Matt Zimmerman <mdz () csh rit edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 03:56:23 -0500

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 15:59:20 -0500
From: Matt Zimmerman <mdz () csh rit edu>
Subject: Re: reverse Traceroute

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 08:34:26AM -0800, Matthew Schlegel wrote:

I agree.  Very cool.  Now we just need to get guys like google and
msn to put a client or two in their web farms so that those of us
with users to deal ("I can't get to MSN, your network is broken")
with can trace to and from their farms directly...

If only it didn't require running untrusted, binary code with superuser
privileges.

This is exactly why the source to tltrace is freely available for download
and public review.

http://www.traceloop/download/tltrace-0.91b-1.src.tar.gz

Thanks for the pointer.

Where is this linked from the www.traceloop.com site?  I can't find it.  Also,
why is the version number different from the binary archive
(traceloop-0.12a.tar.gz)?  It might be a good idea to provide a link to this
archive in the introductory email, for those of us who aren't running
Linux/i386.  You might even get some help in the way of portability fixes.

--
 - mdz