nanog mailing list archives

Re: multi-homing fixed

From: "Grant A. Kirkwood" <grant () virtical net>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:37:47 -0700

Rachel Warren wrote:

The suitcase nuclear bomb that takes out my facility in one location
is very likely to take out my other facility in the same metro area.
And probably all the customers who would remotely care.

I don't know about the others in this thread, but the suitcase
nuclear bomb is well outside the types of things I worry about
protecting against, and in fact were one to explode I think 'lack
of internet access' would be _WAY_ down on my list of priorities.

Hopefully Sean was being a bit over the top. :)

A bomb threat is definately something to worry about, though.  I wish I
remembered more of the details or a news article to substantiate, but what
I do remember about a year ago was a bomb threat at the non-ghetto MAE-EAST
facility in Vienna, VA (I remember we were all wondering why all the WCOM
people were leaving the building).

If a bomb (threat) actually had occured, things would have definately
been unhappy.

Rachel

--
But it is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things. - Thoreau

Once upon a time, while talking with a customer about a particular LA
datacenter's fault tolerant features (you know, generators, UPS, HVAC,
diverse fiber entrances, etc...), they very calmly asked me what
procedures we had in place in the event that a major earthquake struck
the southland and dropped LA into the ocean or otherwise put the city
underwater. I told them very bluntly that if an earthquake of that
magnitude were to hit LA, I would *not* be overly concerned with their
servers/circuit/etc., assuming I was still breathing. They were quite
taken aback. ;)

Grant

--
Grant A. Kirkwood - grant () virtical net
Chief Technology Officer - Virtical Solutions, Inc.