nanog mailing list archives

Re: Affects of the balkanization of mail blacklisting

From: Adam Rothschild <asr () latency net>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 02:18:04 -0400

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 11:33:36PM -0500, measl () mfn org wrote:
The SPAM problem goes up and down to be sure, but you know what?
PROCMAIL is your friend.  All you need to look for are the basics
(ADV, Make Money, etc) and you can instatly filter 90 percent of
this trash into the bitbucket.

Please do share your operational experiences with this, with respect
to effectiveness, scalability, etc.  Sounds like a shocking revelation
-- who needs elaborate DNS or eBGP multihop-based blackhole lists,
when we can catch 90% of all spam known to man using procmail and a
simple subject regex!@?!

At work (not mfn.org), I get several orders of magnitude more mail
(usually obnoxious at that) from the "gentle anti-spammers" than the
poor "victims" get themselves!

Have you tried unsubscribing yourself from the cypherpunks and spam-l
lists?