nanog mailing list archives

Re: exponential route prefix growth, was: Re: The Cidr Report

From: Thomas Marshall Eubanks <tme () 21rst-century com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 11:05:55 -0400

John Todd wrote:

Take a look at:

http://www.fox-den.com/routes/

This is a plot of routes v. paths on a router that peers with or at
least sees the tables from a few large upstreams.  Please ignore the
large gaps in the chart where I <ahem> did some configuration that
was contrary to the correct functioning of my statistics collection.
This is a crude measurement, but it's useful for trending.  I'm sure
someone at CAIDA has done better research than my stupid-simple MRTG
graphs, but I haven't seen theirs mentioned yet so I'll throw my $.02
in first.

What is interesting in the growth difference between the two growth
patterns.   An interesting trend shows; there is a much larger
increase in the number of paths than in the number of routes.  I
would assume that this indicates a growth in the interweaving of
networks, or at least the interweaving of transit providing
relationships.  I suspect the interweaving of interconnections is
growing at a similar rate, but proof of this is invisible with only a
few BGP perspectives.

I don't see that, at least in RELATIVE growth. In your "Yearly" graph,

number of routes at start = 64 K, number at end = 84 K, ratio = 1.31

number of paths at start = 192 K number at end = 252 K, ratio = 1.31

so both have grown by ~ 31 % in the last year. I don't see how this shows that
networks are changing - wouldn't the naive model be
growth in routes is proportional to growth in paths, which is what  these
data show ?

I am not saying that the networks aren't getting more interweaved - just
that I don't see how these graphs support that belief.

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

Perhaps the more vital piece of information in this discussion is not
the sudden growth of routes, but the growth of paths.  The
de-aggregation of routes (though I have done no research to prove
this) seems to me simply a response to redundancy/load distribution
issues introduced by current route selection algorithms.  I think
we're identifying one of the symptoms, but not the root cause of the
growth in routes.  * It seems that we should be saying that there is
a growth in paths, not _just_ routes, and path growth with current
implementation methodologies and reasoning implies route growth. *

We come back to "BGP only works the way most people expect it to in a
multi-home situation when you de-aggregate a route from one of your
upstreams and announce it all the time to all your peers."  Yes,
there are many other reasons that one would de-aggregate and
re-announce either back into the primary with the aggregate or
others; however, I think that the (obvious) basic reasoning for the
bulk of path/route announcements is redundancy and load sharing.

The demand for "always on" backup ("announce all the time even in
directions in which you pad the path") and cost efficiency ("we're
paying for that second line, so we'd better get some use out of it")
lead to increase in paths that need to be visible, and thus routes
that need to be visible.

Why in the last year has this been so large?  You've got me there,
but I'll take a swing at it.  Probably something to do with the
collapsing prices of bandwidth, the dispersion of BGP know-how (or
the "how to set up BGP for your enterprise for dummies" books/FAQs,
at least,) and the sudden expectation that all Internet traffic is
mission-critical and mustmustmust always be available.  The bubble of
hype is finally moving down the hose and causing operational issues
such as this.

It's the nature of the beast; as complexity grows... complexity
grows.  So how does this get solved?   The complex solutions of
multi-provider NAT are possible, but practically impossible in a
business environment where FUD rules the day.  This is really a
matter best discussed after at least 6 hours of deep thought, which
is about 5:55 short of what has occurred for this message.  :)

JT

   T.M. Eubanks
   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410