nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative net au>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 15:27:28 +0800

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000, Patrick Greenwell wrote:

That's why I asked about some form of proxy for members who can't be
present.

Given the effects of the decisions that ARIN is making that would seem to
be a very prudent idea.

It should be noted however, that no matter how "democratic" any
organization is or claims to be, the decisions they make do not
supercede the laws of the country(ies) that they operate in. At the point
that someone feels their rights under the law are being violated
sufficiently (such as restraint of trade) and has the necessary resources,
I imagine these sorts of things will simply end up in court.

.. and if this kind of thing happens because a company can't get what they
want out of a body like ARIN, we are all pretty much doomed.

You know, you would *think* that this kind of change, regardless of whether
its "right" or "wrong" would tickle *some* people into creating new
soutions based upon changing constraints. This *IS* what we are paid for,
right?

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd                    "If a butterfly flaps its wings in China,
<adrian () creative net au>         will a women get naked in Amsterdam?"