nanog mailing list archives

RE: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

From: Roeland Meyer <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 09:06:06 -0800

How closely have you looked at Samba sources? BTW, I've done it through SSH
tunnels too. The problem is that some SAs (a fair large percentage) think
that a port labeled "secure" (port 22) means that they have to take special
care to make sure that it is blocked (yes, they are the recently
lobotomized). So, three-quarters of the time, a VPN is not do-able and you
are forced to go plain-text direct. If, in addition, you block the NetBIOS
ports then you block application-level access for 80% of internet users.