nanog mailing list archives

RE: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

From: Roeland Meyer <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 02:38:04 -0800

From: Jim Mercer [mailto:jim () reptiles org]
Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2000 8:49 PM

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 08:19:12PM -0800, Roeland Meyer wrote:
You are considering killing off a whole bunch of legitimate
use because
some are too brain-dead to not have unintentional shares on
the internet?

well, maybe if there was a global filter on SMB then the
brain-dead company
that produces the brain-dead software will wake up and
realize that maybe
it shouldn't produce software that by default leaves their users open
to intrusion or viruses.

You are assuming (wrongly) that microshit is the only one using that
protocol. Have you never heard of the samba project? I remember explicitly
referencing smb.conf files. That's Unix/Samba bud. I also mentioned that it
works better than NFS. I don't recall microshit-anything shipping with NFS.
Believe it or not, one or two of us actually know what we're doing.

geez, if the filter was there, are you saying that people who
_need_ SMB
shares are too brain-dead to come up with a straight forward
way to make
it get around the filter?

There is no straight-forward way around a filter, by definition the
straight-forward way is to not have the filter!