nanog mailing list archives

Re: pop server in an ISP environment

From: Shawn McMahon <smcmahon () eiv com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 08:26:20 EDT

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Muljawan Hendrianto wrote:

I am thinking about using QPOPPER+procmail, but some people say that it
is not scalable because its authentication is based on /etc/passwd. And
in Unix environment there is certain recommendation not to have more than
5000 users in /etc/passwd file.

That is outdated information, in my opinion.

You should be able to control the scaling on that with sufficient machines
in your cluster; for 20,000 users, /etc/passwd (or, one would hope,
/etc/shadow) should be fine.

Now, the question is; how sure are you you're not going to greatly exceed
20,000 users?