nanog mailing list archives

Re: pop server in an ISP environment

From: Jim Mercer <jim () reptiles org>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 07:31:50 -0400

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 05:37:43PM +0800, Muljawan Hendrianto wrote:
I am thinking about using QPOPPER+procmail, but some people say that it is not scalable because its authentication is
based on /etc/passwd. And in Unix environment there is certain recommendation not to have more than 5000 users in
/etc/passwd file.

Another issue is high availability, does any body use server clustering in an ISP environment?

ps: the system should be able to accomodate about 20000 users.

i used to maintain one of the freenets.

we had 60000+ accounts in the password file, which was shared with 8 machines
using NIS on the older SunOS 4 (pre-solaris).

we never had a problem with scaling.

--
[ Jim Mercer                 jim () reptiles org              +1 416 410-5633 ]
[          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood          ]