nanog mailing list archives

Re: IGPs and services?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 10:56:29 -0400

On Thu, 18 May 2000 20:39:46 EDT, Brandon Ross <bross () netrail net>  said:
What platform adds static routes in response to PMTU discovery?  I've
never seen that before.  What purpose does it serve to add statics?  Some
kind of caching of MTU per destination?

Exactly.  AIX 4.3 uses a host route to cache the discovered PMTU.  I got
surprised in 4.3.3 when PMTU discovery became the default...

What systems DONT use a host route to cache the PMTU, and what do they use
instead to store the values?

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst