nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hi, we're from the government and we're here to help

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: 10 Mar 2000 22:21:39 -0800

On Fri, 10 March 2000, "Kelly J. Cooper" wrote:
THEN the next big thing comes along, people get scared, the
consortia suddenly get well-attended, NEW groups spring up,
the community starts complaining again and the cycle is
renewed.  That is, until people get bored again, or budgets
change or the NEXT big thing that comes along has nothing
to do with security.

This cycle is old.  I know I'm bored with it.

A very good summary of past cycles.  There is no lack of
groups.  But I certainly don't have time or funding to attend
meetings of all these groups, or even the groups that will
have me as a member.  And I definitely don't think the solution
is creating yet another group.

So now what?

How do you propose to cull the wheat from the chaff?  Get all
the right information about what ISPs are trying to do, and
going into the lab to test, and researching into the right
ears (of other ISPs)?  How are you going to get the right
people to speak and the wrong people to shut up for a few
minutes?

Because if it was just as easy as kicking in a few bucks to
yet another consortium, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I think a paid professional secretariat is mandatory.  But costs
a lot of money.

It can't be a stand-alone consortium, but must be part of a larger
industry group to handle the inevitable cycles of interest.

It must be composed of a critical mass of industry.  Groups with less
than a thirty or so members tend to stagnate.

--
What I do on my days off http://www.irishparade.org/ or spot me on
the webcam broadcast at http://www.iwannasee.com/