nanog mailing list archives

Re: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

From: "Brett Frankenberger" <rbf () rbfnet com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 06:50:10 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Scott McGrath <s_mcgrath () bexair com>

The biggest problem with ORBS is the ASSUMPTION that we are all
running
sendmail.  MANY corporate sites use SMTP gateways which do not exhibit
the same behavior as sendmail for instance Notes 5.0.x will accept a
UCE
message and quietly drop it once it realizes that this is a UCE
message
if the UCE filters are enabled.  This behavior will get you on the
ORBS
list and until Lotus creates a Notes/Domino gateway which fully
emulates
sendmail you cannot get off the ORBS list.

I am not an ORBS fan.  However, in the interest of factual accuracy, I
have not noticed this to be true (and there are Notes SMTP gateways on
the network I run).  Thre are some obscure relay syntaxes that can cause
Notes to relay even if you have relaying disabled.  If you don't take
steps to eliminate those, ORBS will consider you a relay.  But if you
configure it to block all relaying, you will not get on ORBS, even
though the Notes SMTP gateway will gladly accept a relay message, and
then drop it later.

You don't get on the ORBS relay list unless and until the test message
actually gets relayed.

     -- Brett