nanog mailing list archives

Re: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

From: Shawn McMahon <smcmahon () eiv com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:26:28 -0400

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 10:30:56PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:

I happen to have several separate and distinct policy requirements for
my SMTP server(s):

      - don't ever accept e-mail from any known open relay or any
          network block which has known open relays but won't allow
          finer testing.

      - don't ever accept e-mail from any known dial-up address.

      - don't ever accept e-mail from any known spammer.

      - don't ever allow a remote SMTP server to forge its hostname.

      - don't ever allow the sender address domain to be invalid.

None of which are the case here.

The case here is that eiv.com is under my control, but the reverse lookup
for the address is not.

My hostname is not forged, it's legitimate and it resolves to my proper
IP address via RFC-compliant means.  If you lookup oa.eiv.com you'll resolve
the IP unless your DNS is seriously broken.

Either that or buy yourself a real Internet connection with a static
address and run your own *real* SMTP server.

Hence the discrepency in what you folks say in one conversation versus
another.

Sorry, I'm not spending an extra couple of hundred dollars a month on my
connection for my home boxes just so I can send email to a few nuts.

To even suggest that ADSL through the only available provider isn't enough
of a "real" connection for a home user, and that they should instead get
a T1 or something, is beyond ridiculous.

Or what, am I supposed to switch to a 56k dialup that charges more for a
static IP than my ADSL costs, just so I can email you?

Get over yourself, Greg.

I'm doing it the right way.  You're paranoid.  Them's the facts, like 'em
or not.