nanog mailing list archives

Re: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

From: Ryan Tucker <rtucker () netacc net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:29:57 -0400

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000 17:45:28 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
Apply this thought experiment:  Pick a *large* provider.  AOL, Sprint,
British Telecom, Yahoo - anything that a lot of people use.  Now assume
that the blackhole list is in common use (since it's not effective if it
isn't).  What's the impact on the net if said large provider *does* get
black-listed?

If I was clever and pissed at AOL, I'd certainly look for a way to create
enough evidence that AOL needed black-listing. What a nice DOS that would be ;)

In theory, the provider will get a nice e-mail before they're blocked...
if someone's trying to pull a fast one, the ISP will be able to look at
that and determine whether or not it's legitimate.

Now, if the provider doesn't respond, they might get a little
blacklisted... but is that necessarily bad, given the previous check?
-rt

--
Ryan Tucker <rtucker () netacc net>                      Network Administrator
NetAccess, Inc.                                      Phone: +1 716 756-5596