nanog mailing list archives

RE: CEF Load balancing...

From: "Martin, Christian" <CMartin () mercury balink com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 10:51:46 -0500

We have a situation where CEF in a particilar 12.0.x version
broke the BVI
interface in an IRB configuration w/ATM.   Then the next version broke
forwarding between an ATM interface and a Ethernet interface in an
interesting way (I haven't tracked down the specifics on the
second case
yet.)

I've seen issues where CEF drives the CPU through the roof if it is doing
per-packet balancing on interfaces that reside on different VIPs.  I've also
seen links drop out of a CEF load-balancing group and the Adj Table hashes
not purge the down interface, or keep the hash indices the same, with only
two interfaces instead of three, thereby doing 67/33 balancing instead of
50/50.  The workaround is to diable and reenable CEF.

On the positive side, you can easily aggregate 200+Mbps across 6 DS3s with
minimal CPU and smooth, per-packet balancing.  Process switching on steroids
it is...  Besides, to uses reverse-path filtering, dCAR, dWRED, etc, you
need dCEF.

It is stable in 11.1.26CC1 - we use it all over for load-balancing on
DS3s...

Chris

All in all, CEF works wonders, if it doesn't break something with its
extra-fancy forwarding.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc () imach com) KD7EHZ
iMach, Ltd., P.O. Box 5749, Helena, MT 59604      http://www.imach.com
Solutions for your high-tech problems.                  (406)-442-6648