nanog mailing list archives

Re: mail does bounce (was: Customers down?)

From: Steve Sobol <sjsobol () NorthShoreTechnologies net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 15:07:43 -0500

"Greg A. Woods" wrote:

I know for certain that Postfix and Smail will immediately bounce a
message when the domain is authoritatively non-existant.  I'd be very
surprised and dismayed if sendmail and all other true SMTP mailers did
not do exactly the same thing.

Sendmail most definitely does not, instead treating the error as a
transient error, issuing an SMTP error code in the 400 series, and
continuing to try to send the mail for up to five days (the default),
or whatever the mail server admin configured for that particular
server.

I think I like it better that way. Just because both nameservers are
temporarily down doesn't mean the domain doesn't exist. :P

--
North Shore Technologies Corporation - Steven J. Sobol, President & Head
Geek

Alcohol and calculus don't mix.. Never drink and derive.