nanog mailing list archives

Re: Customers down?

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: 1 Jan 2000 05:29:58 -0800

On Fri, 31 December 1999, jlewis () lewis org wrote:
I guess our customers aren't that silly.  I did notice some big sites down
though.  I tried to check a price with Tech Data earlier this evening and
found that www.techdata.com didn't exist.  Traceroute to their
nameserver(s)

techdata.com.           2D IN NS        NS1.techdata.com.
techdata.com.           2D IN NS        NS2.techdata.com.
NS1.techdata.com.       2D IN A         169.153.202.40
NS2.techdata.com.       2D IN A         169.153.202.41

ends in a CW routing loop suggesting TD shut off their connection for the
evening.

Putting your only name servers on the same subnet (unless Tech Data has
VERY small subnets) isn't very smart no matter what day it is.  Too many
things can take down your one network.  Instead of queueing mail, many mail programs will generate permanent errors and
immediate bounces.

Gun, Foot, Self.