nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 15:25:58 -0800

Above.Net really is filtering ORBS.  And if ORBS lists people who block
them.....
indeed!  and just imagine the ensuing chaos if orbs decided to (or got
hacked and was made to) list the root-servers.

two horrifying further thoughts occurred to me during my mid-afternoon
popcorn break.

  o if someone hacked into isps' routers they could announce the root
    servers and just imagine the ensuing chaos.  so, should we take down
    all bgp-speaking routers.

    i bet you think not.  so maybe this is not the issue, but security and
    spam are.

  o if someone hacked orbs and blocked the merit smtp host, we could all
    be deprived of the critical operational information we get from this
    mailing list <gasp!>.

but we should back off and not usurp bill's job as the bad-but-cute idea
fairy.

randy