nanog mailing list archives

RE: whois broke again?

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 11:16:29 -0800

From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu]On Behalf Of
William Allen Simpson
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2000 6:02 AM

"Roeland M.J. Meyer" wrote:

and whose
design and architecture is protected by the most stringent and
arcane NDA
that I've ever seen.

That's odd, it's supposed to be an internet-draft.  Not that I've
actually
read it, but ....

Then I suggest that you do. I wouldn't sign the NDA, but you might.

The point; there's plenty of mud to go around. It's about time
that you guys
got involved enough to fix it, instead of piss-and-moan.

That's right.  We have redundant DNS root servers, why do we have
a single
point of failure in the whois?  So, we need 5 volunteers to step up and
be our chosen whois mirrors.

With SRS, this is no longer possible as the whois data is already
distributed among NSI's channel market, the Registrars. Each are independent
entities. The only real target you have to fire at is the ICANN. GFL ...
they're broke.