nanog mailing list archives

RE: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

From: Jason Slagle <raistlin () tacorp net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:22:34 -0400 (EDT)

The problem is that SCP is several orders of magnitude slower then FTP.  I
use scp, rsync (on top of ssh), nfs, and several other methods of moving
files around, and ftp blows them all away.

You also need to build a ftp like structure on top of it.  ie:  I pick the
files I want instead of having to know the filenames.

Until this happens, I can see no viable alternative to FTP.

I wouldn't be unhappy to see one, but we can't retire it without a good
replacement that performs nearly as well.

Jason

---
Jason Slagle - CCNA - CCDA
Network Administrator - Toledo Internet Access - Toledo Ohio
- raistlin () tacorp net - jslagle () toledolink com - WHOIS JS10172