nanog mailing list archives

RE: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

From: Joe Shaw <jshaw () insync net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:14:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Joseph McDonald wrote:

Name-based virtual hosting does not work in many, MANY cases.  Beyond

And it doesn't work for POP3 at all.  If you give your customers their
own pop3 server, you will need to bind to a different IP for each customer.
I don't know of any way around that.

Same goes for ftp as far as I know.

It has been argued by people far smarter than I that FTP needs to
disappear, and I tend to agree with them.  Not that I think that file
transfers should no longer take place, but FTP has certainly outlived it's
usefulness in today's networks and should be replaced with something a bit
more robust/secure.  I think SCP is certainly a start in the right
direction.  With a few modifications, it could certainly be an adequate
drop-in replacement.

--
Joseph W. Shaw - jshaw () insync net