nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 allocatin (was Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting)

From: Ted Beatie <ted () mirror-image net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:02:15 -0400

Quoth David R. Conrad (David.Conrad () nominum com):

"transit service providers".  In my experience, webhost providers are
generally not considered transit providers.  Webhosting providers (and
other non-"transit" sites) should contact their upstream IPv6 (tunnel or
otherwise) provider(s) for IPv6 address space.  They should NOT be
obtaining space from ARIN or other RIRs.  Anything else will simply
recreate the swamp.

I think, like everything, this depends on circumstance.  For example, we
are more or less a content provider.  However, we do not source from a
single location.  With 15 POPs spread throughout the US and Europe, and
more on the way, with exceedingly non-contiguous space obtained from 6
different upstreams, it would benefit ourselves as well as our many
providers to have our own PI space.

Of course, convincing ARIN of this is proving most difficult :)

                         --ted

--
Ted Beatie                                              ted () mirror-image net
Sr. Network Engineer                                         +1-781-376-1108