nanog mailing list archives

Re: New Federal Law (COPPA)

From: John Hall <j.hall () f5 com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:12:33 -0700

IANAL, but my reading of the law and FTC's requirements confirms your
suspicion.  Once you ask their age, then you materially "know" it and
become subject to this law.  Better not to ask their age or not collect
any info, if their age is 13 or below.

JMH

Andrew Brown wrote:
i have a website that might be collecting information from children,
even though that's not the "target" audience.  can i ask the person
how old they are, or is that a violation of the law?

it seems to me that i must break the law in order to comply.

or am i just being pedantic?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
codewarrior () daemon org             * "ah!  i see you have the internet

--
John Hall <j.hall () f5 com>                                     F5 Networks, Inc.
Senior Test Engineer                                          206-505-0800

I could dance with you till the cows come home.  On second thought, I'd rather
dance with the cows till you come home.
                -- Groucho Marx