nanog mailing list archives

Re: a different view of SNMP

From: "Mr. James W. Laferriere" <babydr () baby-dragons com>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 10:33:53 -0700 (PDT)

        Helo Bryan ,

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999 bandregg () redhat com wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 1999 19:49:14 PDT, "Ron Buchalski" wrote:
I sometimes wonder why Wellfleet nee Bay nee Nortel haven't already
taken over most of Cisco's market share for this reason given their
almost total embracement of SNMP for configuration and management.
Sure, they did leave a wide market niche for third party font-end tools
that actually worked, but at least they embraced the standards!  :-)

Well, could it be because Cisco routers _work_?  :-)

Or that you don't have to use that piece of crap called Configuration Mangler
to deal with the thing and then pay for upgrades to a version of configuration
software that doesn't leave the equipment in a bad state.

        Now that Nortel is in charge that is the case 'pay pay pay'
        When I worked at NWRain.net we had a BLN in use .  When it
        was put into service the way to get SMxxx was to just ftp
        to their site & grab the latest 'production' version .
        If you had a Maint. Contract just call & ask for the lastest
        service group patched version ... that of course was before
        Nortel started providing 'Improved' services to it customers .
                Jusy My ~.03 worth ,  JimL
       | James   W.   Laferriere | System   Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer | 25416       22nd So |   Give me Linux |
       | babydr () baby-dragons com | DesMoines  WA 98198 |     only on AXP |