nanog mailing list archives

Re: Regarding global BGP community values

From: Tony Li <tony1 () home net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 01:44:54 -0700

Speaking about the CISCO's, no one thought about the
memory when realised BGP there; the worst failures in the CISCO history
was caused by some _temporary_ prefix leaks which caused routers to eat
memory _permanently_ (last case was in our network 1 week ago when we
leaked extra 20,000 prefixes to our access routers; it was fixed in a 5
minutes, but more then half of them get stomachache and refuse to
work even when this leak disappeared... I don't blame the
software
designers, they must found the compromise between the stability,
time_to_implement, cost and memory,  but I'd like to highlight that they
really did not concerned
about such _cheap_ thing as memory at all). (let me to put -:) here).

On behalf of {myself, Paul, Ravi, Enke}, I assure you that Cisco's BGP has _always_ been
worried about conserving memory.

Tony