nanog mailing list archives

Busy Connect

From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson () greendragon com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:46:56 -0500

I don't know how many other small/dialup ISPs are seeing this problem.
BellSouth just turned it on in our area.  Sent our support calls through
the ceiling during busy evening hours.

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:39:31 -0600
Subject: Please Help Us
From: "Howard Shere" <hshere () watervalley net>

BellSouth recently added a feature to your phone service called "Busy
Connect". This service plays a recording whenever you dial and get a busy
signal offering to keep trying the number for 75 cents. This service will
interfere with your modems ability to detect a busy signal and your computer
will report that "the computer you are dialing is not answering" or some
similar message.

2 weeks ago BellSouth told us that this service was on our lines and we
asked that it be removed. They told us that this would solve the "no answer"
problems that our customers were reporting. We have continued to get
complaints from customers about "no answer" problems and when we talked to
BellSouth today, we were told that this service was on our customers lines
and not on ours. We are not sure why we were given the wrong information
when we first reported this trouble.

We are asking that all of our customers call BellSouth and ask to have this
service removed. They have refused to help us directly and have said that
the only way to have this service removed is for our customers to call them
directly.

BellSouth can be reached at 557-6500 (for home telephone customers) or
557-6000 (for small business customers). Tell them you want the "Busy
Connect" service removed from your line. There is no charge from BellSouth
for removing this service.