nanog mailing list archives

Re: Monitoring, Flow Stats (Re: spam whore, norcal-systems)

From: Ravi Pina <ravi () verio net>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 18:39:20 -0500

On Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 06:16:58PM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
On Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 05:54:36PM -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:
This kind of monitoring is probably a direct violation of 18 USC 2511, as
is a public announcement of the monitoring results. Indeed, at present, I'd
say it appears to be the best example of an unauthorized 3rd party
violation I've seen so far. (most [all previous] people don't admit
details, but we know some do it). Unless of course you have authorization
from norcal or all the recipients of those 2 million packets to monitor.
Since norcal isn't your customer, I don't suppose you have any paper
showing they gave you permission to collect and publish information about
their traffic.

      Interesting coroloary,

      Is it illegal for me to do flow-stats, as that examines packets
(in the same way one would filter), causing this data to be stored on
my flow stats server?

For those of you playing at home, this document can be found at:

This would appear to be covered in sec 18 USC 2511(2)(a)

Then again, I'm no lawyer, and I really don't have the brain capacity
to follow the threading of USC.

I'm sorry if this was a boo boo move on my part.

-r