nanog mailing list archives

Re: NSI Bulletin 098-010 | Update on Whois

From: "Jim Fleming" <JimFleming () unety net>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 18:41:46 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell () dimension net>
Newsgroups: maillist.nanog
To: nanog () merit edu <nanog () merit edu>
Date: Wednesday, September 09, 1998 4:53 PM
Subject: Re: NSI Bulletin 098-010 | Update on Whois

In article <Pine.BSD/.3.91.980909153738.7931A () crispy iconn net> you write:
According to David Holtzman of NSI (i asked him), the restrictions on
whois
are merely for technical reasons.  I believe that he believes this, and
from his point of view they have every right to filter/limit obnoxious or
badly configured hosts/sites.

I have a call to arms.  If we could get orginizations to
mirror the whois data, and provide full, public access to it
(via the current whois database) we could remove some of the
dependency on NSI.  After all, they don't run the only root, lots
of other people run them as well...why should they run the only
whois server?

As far as I know, the rwhois interface
is more oriented toward the approach
that you propose. You can walk the rwhois
protocol thru a query or two via a simple
telnet interface. The network of rwhois
servers transfer complete zones. I think
the original idea was to make it more like
the DNS, only with contact information. Here
is a random query about dimension.net. Note
the minus sign to indicate commands. The
"-holdconnect on" command keeps the link
open for multiple queries. It does not take a
rocket scientist to figure out from the rwhois
protocol how to transfer a large number of
entries. Note, there are 5,532,210 "objects".

$ telnet rwhois.internic.net 4321
Trying 198.41.1.6...
Connected to root.rwhois.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
%rwhois V-1.5:003eff:00 root.rwhois.net (by Network Solutions, Inc.
V-1.5.2rri-d
l)
-status
%status limit:20
%status holdconnect:OFF
%status forward:OFF
%status objects:5532210
%status display:DUMP
%status contact:rwhois-bugs () rwhois net
%ok
-holdconnect on
%ok
dimension.net
domain:Class-Name:domain
domain:Auth-Area:net
domain:ID:DIMENSION2-DOM.net
domain:Handle:DIMENSION2-DOM
domain:Domain-Name:DIMENSION.NET
domain:Org-Name:Dimension Enterprises
domain:Street-Address:1039 Sterling Rd, Suite 201
domain:City:Herndon
domain:State:VA
domain:Postal-Code:22170
domain:Country-Code:US
domain:Server;I:GIZMO2-HST.NET
domain:Server;I:USSEN-HST.ORG
domain:Server;I:PUMA12-HST.COM
domain:Admin-Contact;I:FM136.NET
domain:Tech-Contact;I:JTB2.NET
domain:Billing-Contact;I:FM136.NET
domain:Created:19950817050000000
domain:Updated:19970502190154000

%ok
%ok
FM136.NET
contact:Class-Name:contact
contact:Auth-Area:net
contact:ID:FM136.net
contact:Handle:FM136
contact:First-Name:Fitzgerald
contact:Last-Name:Michael
contact:Name:Michael, Fitzgerald
contact:Type:I
contact:Email:mfitzgerald () DIMENSION NET
contact:Phone:703-709-7699
contact:Org-Name:Dimension Enterprises
contact:Street-Address:1039 Sterling Rd, Suite 201
contact:City:Herndon
contact:State:VA
contact:Postal-Code:22170
contact:Country-Code:US