nanog mailing list archives

Re: NSI Bulletin 098-010 | Update on Whois

From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol () nacs net>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 23:26:18 -0400

On Thu, Sep 03, 1998 at 05:56:05PM -0500, Sean Donelan wrote:

As far as the only supported interfaces for retrieving the data from
NSI being the WHOIS port and the anonymous FTP zone files, if you look
at it in the best light, I would refer back to the cooperative agreement
with NSF.  As much as I dislike SPAM, I do not think concern about the
use of the data for marketing purposes is a good justification for NSI
to unilaterally block individuals from accessing the WHOIS data.

Well, I've been LARTed big time by the customer service director at
NSI. :)

He made a very good point: that SAIC is a separate entity (and a SHAREHOLDER -
NSI is not a subsidiary of SAIC) and they are not necessarily going to be
selling the *WHOIS* database... so for now I think I can give them the benefit
of the doubt...

--

"You know, I've decided lizards aren't too smart."
   --Me, to "Junior", one of my iguanas