nanog mailing list archives

Re: NSI Bulletin 098-010 | Update on Whois

From: Chris Cappuccio <chris () empnet com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 08:25:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Leo Bicknell wrote:

      I'm an idiot, teach me to work late at night.  Of course the
phone numbers are in the rwhois database, I just overlooked them.

      In any event, I have two URL's for you:

http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/rwhois.cgi
http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/rwhois.txt

      The first is a web script you can run and get pretty web
output.  Browse whois data in a clickable fashion.  The second is
a link so you can download the script itself and run it on your
own web server.  There is an added bonus to this method, if you
invoke the script from the command line yourself it prints output
that looks just like whois.  It does not understand the "whois"
syntax, unfortunately, but a straight query like "./rwhois.cgi
dimension.net" will return the expected output.  This allows you
to drop in an rwhois client where you need to parse whois style
output.

      I'm still having a problem where I get connection refused
far too often running this script.  At the moment I'm not sure if
it's a perl bug, an mod IO::Socket::INET bug, a busy server, or
programmer error.  If you figure out how to fix that please let
me know.

Actually,

root.rwhois.net.        891     A       198.41.1.7
root.rwhois.net.        891     A       198.41.1.6

This is your problem:

twist:chris {149} telnet 198.41.1.7 4321
Trying 198.41.1.7...
twist:chris {150} telnet 198.41.1.6 4321
Trying 198.41.1.6...
Connected to 198.41.1.6.
Escape character is '^]'.
%rwhois V-1.5:003eff:00 root.rwhois.net (by Network Solutions, Inc.
V-1.5.2rri-dl)

      I'm curious if anyone will find this useful, and/or if I
just duplicated stuff that was already available.  If it is useful
I can probably extend it more, right now it's pretty utilitarian.

Except for the server that doesn't answer, I think rwhois is much more
useful because it is definitely faster and doesn't give me messages
like:

*
* WELCOME to InterNIC Registration Services
*
* Sorry, the system load is temporarily too heavy.
*
* Please wait a while and try again.  Thanks
*

---
http://www.adbusters.org/