nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

From: Barry Shein <bzs () world std com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 14:18:41 -0400

On October 1, 1998 at 11:08 sjsobol () nacs net (Steven J. Sobol) wrote:
On Thu, Oct 01, 1998 at 03:22:55AM -0400, Barry Shein wrote:

No, a typical method of judgement used where something won't likely be
100% one way or the other is the "preponderance of evidence".

Agreed, and I don't think you have that, either!

That's nice, but lacking any review process you're just twiddling bits
in public (and so am I, not my point.)

More importantly, in the case of a gTLD, does it serve any useful
purpose for which it was issued, overall?

Since the examples you've given don't seem to me to be entities
organized within the Kingdom of Tonga, even if they're not porn
sites*, what purpose is being served by keeping .to in the root
servers?

It's already been pointed out that there IS no one-to-one mapping of
domain names to geographical areas. What's your point?

Please. There may be no one-to-one mapping, but surely there is some
reason we adopted the ISO two-letter codes as TLDs.

Why must these discussions always devolve into nihilism?

* Porn per se was never the touchstone issue

OK - I am glad we agree on this.

--

Anyone who spams me will be subject to torture by Jake,
my killer attack hedgehog, and/or Lizzy and Junior, my man-eating iguanas.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs () world std com          | http://www.world.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*