nanog mailing list archives

Re: Discussion point: Telco quality?

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 18:02:30 -0700

At 07:21 PM 10/8/98 -0400, Paul Ferguson wrote:
This latest fiber cut just kind of jarred my brain into the
realization of what "telco quality" services really boils down to.

In the end, all services, both traditional telephony services and
data services, are more alike than people give them credit for.  :-)

When I first went from MCI to PacBell/ACN an of PacBell veteran picked up
the hand-set and made me listen to it. He then asked me what I heard, I
said "dial tone", he said, "No, what you heard was a freaking miracle!". At
the time, our job was to make the new broadband HFC network as reliable,
but cheaper, than the local-loop system. As it turned out, he was right.
Building such a system, and keeping it running, decade after decade, *is* a
freaking miracle! We had 10,000 customers before SBC pulled the plug.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer () mhsc com>rmeyer () mhsc com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
I bet the human brain is a kludge.