nanog mailing list archives

Re: Lawsuit threat against RBL users

From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol () nacs net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 22:59:07 -0500

On Thu, Nov 19, 1998 at 03:25:25PM -0800, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
Ah, but there's the problem and Karl D. is right. The *real* answer is to
do away with throw-away accounts. Yes, the provider of the throw-away
account knows exactly who the spammer is (I won't go any deeper than that),
they have a CC number. If that data matches our customer, that customer
becomes $1500US poorer and stops being our customer. Tracing a spam to a
particular dail-in port is not easy, but it's do-able. You then know who
the provider is/was.

It's actually not that hard for a smallish provider like NACS. I imagine
the big dialup wholesale outifts would have quite a bit more work to do,
though.

--
Steve Sobol [sjsobol () nacs net]
Part-time Support Droid [support () nacs net]

Spotted on a bumper sticker: "Possum. The other white meat."