nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN?

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 11:45:01 -0800

At 06:51 PM 11/8/98 -0500, Kim Hubbard wrote:

At 06:53 AM 11/6/98 -0600, Karl Denninger wrote:

Why should ARIN be able to put someone's business model into the trash can
because of technical complience issues?

The same way that Auto Insurance companies can revoke your license in
California. They simply revoke you insurance policy after you gather 3
point agaisnt you driving record. According to CA-DMV, you license
immediately becomes suspended for lack of insurance. Notice that the legal
suspension limit is more than 6 points. However, the over-arching
requirement is liability insurance. Thus, placing the control with the
insurance companies (hell, I never said I *liked* living here).

ARIN seems to be operating on a similar principle as the DMV.

I don't recall ARIN ever revoking or suspending addresses.  I'd be
interested in any examples where ARIN has done this or are you just
making assumptions here?

I was speaking of the suspension of a business license by not allowing IP
assignments. The requirement to present a business plan is the issue here.
I was also not making any accusations, I was answering Karl's question. I
was trying to answer how the requirements of one agency pre-empts
another's, more liberal, requirements. In this case, how the more
restrictive requirements, of ARIN IP allocations, pre-empts the business
requirements of various incorporation regulations. Some of this may
actuially be improper, as in the case of the DMV vs the Auto-insurance
carriers, where the carrier has a stricter standard than is maintained by
the regulatory agency. Unfortunately, it is not illegal, yet. In the
DMV/Insurance case, there is actually grounds within public liability
statutes. It still doesn't condone the stricter standards of the Insurance
carriers, IMHO.

ARIN, is facing a similar issue, on murkier grounds. This was my only point
to this, my answer to Karl. Yes, I believe it is improper. No private
company should be allowed to pre-empt *any* regulatory agency, with
stricter standards. Were ARIN to be a regulatory agency then the argument
becomes one of jurisdiction. Since it is not, then ARIN has less legal
footing on which to base this policy, IMHO.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer () mhsc com>rmeyer () mhsc com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
I bet the human brain is a kludge.