nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN?

From: I Am Not An Isp <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 00:58:27 -0800

At 10:28 PM 11/3/98 -0500, alex () nac net wrote:

Again, we are applying for more space from ARIN.

Congrats, glad to see you're doing well.  (At least I hope your growth
indicates you are doing well. :)

Some of the questions we got from them range from "please provide a
network map and/or customers justification as to why they needed a /24" to
"please provide where your POPs are, how many dialups there are in that
POP, and how many ports you have in that dialup."

I'd love to know if larger places (UU? PSI? MCI? Sprint? etc) have to
answer questions like this when they apply for space.

I happen to know a reasonably large ISP which has to go through some pretty
difficult justification to get more space.  You should try a RWHOIS server,
it can help make it easier to "justify" stuff for ARIN.  (At least that's
what some people tell me, I've never set one up myself.)

I don't want to hear an answer from ARIN, I would like feedback from
actual customers of ARIN.

I've seen lots of companies jump through some major hoops, and I don't
really begrudge ARIN the necessity of making sure the allocations are made
... frugally.  But I do wonder why they would ask for geographical
information other than to be sure the space is used within "America".  (Or
is that even a requirement?)

      Alex Rubenstein, alex () nac net, KC2BUO, ISP/C Charter Member

TTFN,
patrick

I Am Not An Isp
www.ianai.net
"Think of it as evolution in action." - Niven & Pournelle