nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN?

From: Kim Hubbard <kimh () arin net>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 18:51:55 -0500 (EST)

At 06:53 AM 11/6/98 -0600, Karl Denninger wrote:

Why should ARIN be able to put someone's business model into the trash can
because of technical complience issues?

The same way that Auto Insurance companies can revoke your license in
California. They simply revoke you insurance policy after you gather 3
point agaisnt you driving record. According to CA-DMV, you license
immediately becomes suspended for lack of insurance. Notice that the legal
suspension limit is more than 6 points. However, the over-arching
requirement is liability insurance. Thus, placing the control with the
insurance companies (hell, I never said I *liked* living here).

ARIN seems to be operating on a similar principle as the DMV.

I don't recall ARIN ever revoking or suspending addresses.  I'd be
interested in any examples where ARIN has done this or are you just
making assumptions here?

Kim Hubbard
ARIN

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer () mhsc com>rmeyer () mhsc com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
I bet the human brain is a kludge.