nanog mailing list archives

Re: Core router bakeoff?

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 19:00:34 -0400

On Thu, May 07, 1998 at 05:03:28PM -0500, John A. Tamplin wrote:
Why not considering the 4th vendor, Cabletron, for this kind of equipment,
before using PCs.

PCs are cheap and I know them well. I wasn't aware Cabletron even had
a box with a BGP-4 implementation in it.

PCs are also designed with a mindset that saving $.10 on a component saves
millions, encouraging overly cheap designs.  Considering the typical PC
customer has no problem with rebooting their machine several times a day,
that gives them plenty of room to cut corners without pissing off their
primary client base.  This is not to say that you can't build solid hardware,
but the typical PC vendors simply do not have a level of quality sufficient
for 24x7 operation.

I'll speak to that.  He didn't say precisely what I think he meant, so
I'll say it: it's not all that hard to build PC-class equipment for
mission critical standards.  A vast majority of the voice
mail/automated attendant systems out there nowadays are "PC" gear...
which does _not_ mean J. Random Compaq...

IMS, WTI and half a dozen other vendors sell gear that ought to be
perfectly rugged enough for this, and remember: if the gear costs a
tenth what it's commercial competition costs, your redundancy is a hot
spare in the next rack, and move a couple cables.

"Cheap" often winds up "expensive" when you count the cost of downtime.  We
run all Cisco routers and have had exactly one failure on any box in 4 years
(a power supply in a 4500).  While the software quality has gotten worse
lately and you have to be careful selecting which code to run, the software
has generally been as stable as the hardware.

Can you get the source from Cisco?  ;-)

As far as I know, Cabletron's router blades for their switches are just
Cisco 4500's with one of the NPM slots tied to the backplane.  I assume you
could run BGP on it, although performance might not be good enough.

There was a buyout?

John Tamplin                                  Traveller Information Services

Damn, sorry; didn't even look.  If you take anything I said too
harshly, change your mind.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com