nanog mailing list archives

Re: Core router bakeoff?

From: Selina Priestley <selina () ans net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 13:28:45 -0400

In short, unless you have numbers to indicate otherwise, I can't say
that PCs cost you much, in the short term or the long term.

What Cisco's will buy you is better handling of T3s, SONET, etc., and
the ability to handle much higher performance lines. They also have
much better remote management facilities, in so far as the things have
real serial consoles and such, which PCs don't.

Perry

One PC remote management win is that you can actually have secure
encrypted access/authentication for remote management, rather than
relying passwords in the clear and tftp.  This is lacking in all
router venders at this instant, far as I know.

Selina