nanog mailing list archives

Re: RBL Update (Re: Lets go vixie!! rbl)

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () wisdom rc vix com>
Date: 20 Jun 1998 07:04:12 -0700

The agreement Paul Vixie makes RBL users sign states that EXPLICITLY.

No.

You are not allowed to use the RBL unless you disclose such use fully to
your customers and/or downstreams.

There is apparently some ambiguity surrounding my use of the verb "publish"
in the RBL Subscriber Agreement.  I will see that this is fixed in V2.1.

"Makes"... makes how?  I simply enabled it in my sendmail configs and ran
with it. Didn't even SEE where it mentioned that I *HAD* to go agree to
stuff.

There is no requirement that anyone sign a license if they aren't subscribing,
where "subscribing" means receiving it as an eBGP4 or DNS "feed".  If you're
using "FEATURE(rbl)" in sendmail 8.9.0, or a similar feature of other mailers,
you're using the RBL but you're not a subscriber (and more power to you).

Dunno what the solution is, but I can see a somewhat real problem here.

The first line of complaint is the ISP who uses the RBL.  If someone turns it
on without notifying their customers / downstreams, they'll hear about it
right quick.
--
Paul Vixie
La Honda, CA                    "Many NANOG members have been around