nanog mailing list archives

Re: He's baaaaaaack...

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 18:35:19 -0400

On Thu, Aug 13, 1998 at 03:25:48PM -0700, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
(Those who don't get the reference, go find a short song called
Alices Restaurant - Arlo Guthrie)

For sufficiently large versions of "short; the song is like, what, 14
minutes long?

short, it is not!

Closer to 45 minutes <grin>, I can still pick it. A verse is itself
difficult, as it requires "finger-style" picking, but after the ump-teenth
go'round, the hands start to lose track of where they are, due to the
difficult repetition.

I don't think it's quite _that_ long...  Our local album rock station
used to play it up the back side of lunch hour every Thanksgiving day,
and I don't remember that it broke the half hour...

It's like manually adding 1000 new Unix users. After the 200th one you
start making mistakes becasue you get lost in the repetition. Just like
playing this song, you are fried to a crisp when you're done.

No, Roeland, that's adding 1000 WinNT users.  A Unix guy would just put
the names in a file, and use expect(1L).

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com