nanog mailing list archives

Re: Traffic Engineering

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 16:06:56 -0400

On Wed, Sep 17, 1997 at 12:44:00PM -0700, Vadim Antonov wrote:
At
that point a pizza parlor owner says to himself "two out of every five of
my customers are on the Internet. Perhaps I need a web page." And,
suddenly, pizza on the Net makes a lot of sense and the traffic patterns
shift. As the density grows to 90%, local traffic becomes dominant over
distant traffic.

Georgaphically local, not topologically.

Precisely.

A *big* difference.

Unless we're willing to go back to regulated monopolies geographical
locality makes little difference in overall traffic patterns.

How do you say "bullshit" in Russian?

C'mon, Vadim.  As the Net, and the Web in particular, grow more
geographically dense -- IE: as there _is_ more local stuff for users to
look at -- they _will_; people are natively more interested in that
which is near to them geographically.

And unless we unload that traffic from the backbones and the NAP's,
_it_ will be what melts down the net.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth       High Technology Systems Consulting              Ashworth
Designer            Linux: Where Do You Want To Fly Today?        & Associates