nanog mailing list archives

Re: not rewriting next-hop, pointing default, ...s

From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () netrail net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 15:59:38 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Avi Freedman wrote:

I have network.
You want access.
You buy T3 to me.
I send you routes.
Also, you default to me over a common exchange point as a backup.
T3 goes down.
Things fall over due to default route automagically.
Yes, it can be done with BGP and metrics over the common XP but
sometimes isn't.

Some question whether the XPs should be used for customer connectivity,
but that's a separate issue.

Or is that what you're driving at?

YES, just look at the data going over MAE-East and MAE-West a large
amount of that traffic is for customer connectivity. I guess it will not
mater most NSPs are setting up private peering, so the NAPs will soon just
turn into a place to sell transit. I just think it did not need to turn
out that way. Also of the current defaults at MAE-East most of them are
not there with permission from the provider they are point to. I have had
2 peers at MAE-East point default to me in the last 3 months.

Nathan Stratton                             President, CTO, NetRail,Inc.
Phone   (888)NetRail                           NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (404)522-1939                          230 Peachtree Suite 500
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Atlanta, GA 30303
"No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his
great strength.                                        - Psalm 33:16