nanog mailing list archives

Re: not rewriting next-hop, pointing default, ...

From: "Sean M. Doran" <smd () clock org>
Date: 13 Sep 1997 17:30:17 -0400

Avi Freedman <freedman () netaxs com> writes:

The danger with this approach is, obviously, that the router that you
try to do this to can go away.  In which case you shoot yourself in the
foot.  Some day, someone will send me a valid use of 'set ip next-hop'
but I haven't seen a good one yet.

I believe initially it was dropped into route-maps to deal
with situations involving having three different ASes
share a broadcast LAN in Washington D.C. as an internal
link.

(AS 1239, AS 1790, both sharing a single IGP instance, AS
1800 with a different IGP instance, to be specific.
Running two independent iIS-IS instances on a single wire was fun too.)

FSVO "valid use", but it did make things work.

        Sean.