nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spam Control Considered Harmful

From: woods () most weird com (Greg A. Woods)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 14:21:46 -0500 (EST)

[ On Fri, October 31, 1997 at 09:29:11 (-0600), John A. Tamplin wrote: ]
Subject: Re: Spam Control Considered Harmful

Yes, that is precisely what we do.  However, what I pointed out was that
if the ISP they dial into blocked all traffic to port 25 elsewhere, as
was suggested, then they wouldn't be able to get to their virtual host
residing here to send out mail.

One easy way around this problem is to forge closer relationships with
the ISPs your customers use for connectivity.  One of the easiest ways I
can think of doing this would be to become a member of a roaming service
like iPass and through that become a virtual ISP where you effectively
purchase connectivity time from dial-up providers and resell it to your
users.  Then since you're providing the authentication of your users you
can also provide in their profile a list of SMTP relay hosts that they
should be permitted to connect to.  Your users would then be free to
choose to dial into any iPass dial-up provider anywhere in the world at
any time without even needing an account opened with the particular
dial-up provider they happen to be able to get through to today.

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods () acm org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods () planix com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods () weird com>