nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spam Control Considered Harmful

From: "John A. Tamplin" <jat () traveller com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:29:11 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Greg A. Woods wrote:

If a customer is paying you for virtual domain service then you'll: a)
probably have a much more substantial relationship with the customer
than you would with an ordinary dial-up user, and thus much stronger
contractual arrangements to ensure they abide by your AUP; and b) be
telling those special customers to use a special outgoing mail relay
that properly masquerades as the virtual host, i.e. not your generic
outgoing mail relay used by your average ordinary dial-up users.

Yes, that is precisely what we do.  However, what I pointed out was that
if the ISP they dial into blocked all traffic to port 25 elsewhere, as
was suggested, then they wouldn't be able to get to their virtual host
residing here to send out mail.

John Tamplin                                    Traveller Information Services
jat () Traveller COM                            2104 West Ferry Way
205/883-4233x7007                               Huntsville, AL 35801