nanog mailing list archives

RE: NAP Architecture

From: Rodney Joffe <rjoffe () genuity net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 12:27:45 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: the Riz [SMTP:riz () beast boogers sf ca us]
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 1997 10:07 AM
To:   blkirk () float eli net
Cc:   nanog () merit edu
Subject:      Re: NAP Architecture

This *is* becoming more popular; in the US, the main problem is that
many
(most?) of the exchange points are operated by telcos, who are
tariffed.
This means that any connection between separate entities is a
"circuit"
that they must charge a certain minimum amount for.  As more telcos
manage
to move their exchange point operations into the non-regulated portion
of
their respected businesses, this may change, and exchanges are
currently
being built by non-telco entities, which are allowed to have more
reasonable charges to connect cages in the same facility together.
(Disclaimer: in my other life, I work for one such facility... the
PAIX in
Palo Alto)

        Baloney.......

        I defy anyone to show me a "tariff" for interconnects at a NAP.

        There is no such thing. 'cos, as y'all know, if it was tariffed,
there wouldn't be any 'special' deals.

        The phrase is "Highway robbery". The problem is they don't even
have the class to let you see the gun.