nanog mailing list archives

Re: Possible topic?

From: Snowdog <snowdog () charm net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 21:03:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hey all,

If I could add a NAP to this list, the Sprint NAP is having
horrific packet loss and I understand that legal action
was necessary to get the invovled parties to resolve the
situation.

Here's the information I received from a source at MCI.  I
suggest you label this information as rumor and change it
as you see fit.  :)

There is a FDDI Ring at the NAP which was overcrowded.
It apparently took some legal action to get Sprint
(or whoever is responsible for the Sprint NAP :) )
to make the necessary upgrades.  What I've heard is that
4 GigaSwitches are being installed from MFS and that
this installation/upgrade ETR is 1-2 months.

What I can tell you for sure is that we are seeing between
10-25% packet loss on a daily basis across that NAP.  We
have seen these numbers on both our MCI and UUNet connection.
(for the record, the UUNet packet loss is generally lower,
of course I get randomnly disconnected from various sites
when using UUNet... its all compromise these days...)

So, where is Bob Metcalfe when you need him???  :)

Sorry for the me too post...  I feel like an AOLer...

Sean Rolinson
snowdog () bigfoot com
snowdog () charm net

Hi there,
      Is it possible, even at this late date, to allow someone from MFS to
comment at NANOG on what is being done to relieve inter switch congestion
at MAE East and West and what kind of time frames we can expect a
resolution in?

This is seriously affecting the performance of the Internet as a whole, and
seems to me to be a very valid operational topic for the conference.

Justin W. Newton                        voice: +1-650-482-2840
Senior Network Architect                  fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.                    http://www.priori.net
Legislative and Policy Director, ISP/C   http://www.ispc.org
"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."